Saturday, January 31, 2009

Well, Brad is Academy-Award worthy...

Saturday, January 31, 2009


Last weekend I continued my quest to see at least three of the films nominated for Academy Awards, and thus spent my Sunday evening watching The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It has certainly garnered a considerable amount of critical praise, and secured 13 Oscar nominations!

I can certainly understand the buzz-the film is unique and lovely, beautifully shot with amazing special effects. All of the principal actors do a marvelous job, though that shouldn't be surprising. Cate Blanchett could put forth a stunning performing if she had a paper bag over her head and was only in a movie for five minutes. What I thought was best, however, and most deserving of accolades, was Brad Pitt's performance. He has far too often been ignored, and this may be his finest contribution to the film industry yet.

So, for the second go round of Oscar movie-watching, I would have to give my highest praise to Slumdog Millionaire. In my opinion, it's the better movie. I still advise you to see Benjamin Button, and in the theater at that. I would love to read the short story and see how it compares to the screenplay. This week, I'm hoping to catch The Reader. I'll let you know how that turns out! It's usually a depressing bunch of movies-this is why I liked Slumdog so much! :)

No comments: