Thursday, January 15, 2009

Academy Award-worthy

Thursday, January 15, 2009

I'm on a quest to see at least two or three of the Academy Award-contending films of the year. As is usually the case, the films with the most current notoriety have rather dark, bleak stories. While I feel quite sure that there is inherent value in some of these films, and they're probably all showcases of excellent acting, I would like to feel encouraged, and happy after at least one film's conclusion, not depressed! Well, I made an excellent choice for my first viewing. Yesterday, my mother-in-law and I went to an afternoon showing of Slumdog Millionaire, the highly praised, critically lauded film about a young Indian boy who happens to be one question away from winning 20 million rupees on the Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire. It's so much more than that insignificant description, though, a truly beautiful, uplifting film. I would call it a representation of the triumph of the human spirit, against dizzying odds. Go see it-you'll be so glad you did.

No comments: