Sunday, June 9, 2013

song sampling

Sunday, June 9, 2013
A few years ago, I got into the habit of drafting a playlist for my fave songs of the season.  I had to go by season, because I'm so rarely in the car long enough to listen to new stuff, and thus terribly out of the loop when it comes to anything new and interesting.  Now that we listen almost exclusively to The Frances Collection audiobook while in the car, I can only imagine that I'll hear fewer and fewer new tunes.  These aren't all new, but I've really enjoyed snatching bits of them on quick trips to the grocery story or occasionally while I'm cooking dinner.  If I ever pull the trigger with Spotify, making these lists for the ol' blog will be a lot quicker.  For now, feast your eyes on my meandering thoughts and occasional video clips.

Vampire Diaries gems:
Kiss Me, Ed Sheeran. Probably my favorite song on the whole list, and one that I listen to the most.  I LOVE it.  Ed Sheeran has been collaborating quite a bit with Taylor Swift lately, and I have a feeling he'll get bigger and bigger. P.S.He's British. How is it possible that the nation has created so much great music?  It doesn't seem fair.



A Drop in the Ocean, Ron Pope.  That's right-I included a clip of my most beloved guilty pleasure, showcasing the song that I've listened to literally hundreds of times in the last year.  This is what happens when you have your own blog.

Soundtracks are my favorite:
Love is Blindness, Jack White, Great Gatsby Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. I've loved this song from the moment it was featured in the first trailer.  Random trivia: it's a U2 cover, arguably made even better.

Young and Beautiful, Lana del Ray, Great Gatsby Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. Isn't Lana del Ray kind of a big deal?  Whether she is or not, this song is perfectly fitting for Gatsby and a great addition to a soundtrack already riddled with solid songs.

Cover Your Tracks, A Boy and his Kite, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. Let's not bring up the memory of the scene for which this song sets the stage.  The wound of the infamous breakup still smarts.

Where I Come From, Passion Pit, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. Even SH can't deny the appeal of this super relaxing, yet upbeat tune.

Tomorrow Will Be Kinder, The Secret Sisters, The Hunger Games Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. A beautiful, lilting song. I think my mom would have loved it. 


just because:
I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles), Sleep at Last. I love the original song, but this slowed down cover is equally wonderful.

New Theory, Life of Leisure. The perfectly delicious gem of a song from my BFF Rose.  It hurts my heart to think I haven't written of her in so very long.  She continues to be a beacon of wisdom and brilliance, and she can still identify the very best in music.

Zou Bisou, Bisou, Jessica Pare. The worse possible gift for Don Draper becomes a wonderful present for the rest of us. And for the record, Jessica Pare IS singing.

Demons, Imagine Dragons. Since I'm not so much for radio or Spotify these days, I find songs in more unconventional spots, like movie trailers.  The one was featured in the trailer for The Words, which I've not seen.  I can't speak for the quality of the movie, but the song is totally one of those that sweeps you away into romantic daydreams.

Honeypot, Bob Schneider. Schneider is an Austin-based, Texas country musician and he's been immensely popular in those circles for a long time.  Pop culture reference: He also happened to date Sandra Bullock, long before the days of Jesse James, Ryan Gosling, and now little Louis.  Anyway, my dad introduced me to this song, which made me want to listen to everything he's ever sung.

Mirrors, Justin Timberlake. I don't hate myself even a little for LOVING this song.  Second favorite.

yes, just like everyone else, I love the Lumineers:
Ho Hey, The Lumineers. No matter how many times I've heard it, the song still warms my heart.

Stubborn Love, The Lumineers. The whole album is great, but this song is the one I usually have on repeat.

guilty pleasure (aka my Nashville addiction):
I Will Fall, Sam Palladio and Clare Bowen of the Nashville Cast. I do enjoy the mainstream country songs on the show (Hayden Panettiere's Boys in Buses is played around here more frequently than I'd like to admit!) but my favorite performances are inevitably the ones showcasing the partnership between Scarlett and Gunnar.  The characters themselves are at best silly and soapy and at worse mildly annoying, but when they sing together, it's magical.

When the Right One Comes Along, Sam Palladio and Clare Bowen of the Nashville Cast. See above.

Ho Hey, Lennon and Maisy Stella of the Nashville Cast.  This isn't the first time I've written about the Stella sisters, and I hope it won't be the last.  Please, Stella sisters, remain pure and uncorrupted!  No Juliette Barnes-behavior form you!




No comments: