Sunday, October 31, 2010

apple and cheddar scones

Sunday, October 31, 2010

I've always wondered about the popular pairing of apple and cheddar. I haven't shied away from it for any particular reason; in fact, I've thought it sounded quite tasty. I just never landed on that exact recipe, the one fit for my first effort.

Enter Deb, the talented wit behind my favorite food blog, Smitten Kitchen. Of course she would find a way to entice me to head into the kitchen immediately with a bag of apples and hunk of cheddar. How did she do it, you ask? By combining those infamously paired ingredients into a scone. I can't imagine a being who doesn't like a scone-those crumbly, buttery, bits of breakfast and tea deliciousness, always enhanced by the inclusion of cream, usually more hearty than a muffin...I love 'em.

I knew I would love Deb's apple and cheddar scones. She was exactly right, they are like "October on a parchment-lined baking sheet." The tart apples become mellow with the roasting, and the cheddar is a savory partner within the scone, which is as golden and decadent as any scone you've ever seen. It's an excellent choice for the beginning of fall, the perfect seasonally appropriate dish to whip up for breakfast on a lazy weekend or take to a gathering with friends.

As I suspected, my first outing with apple and cheddar was wildly successful. I'm not sure i can imagine topping it.


No comments: