Sunday, October 31, 2010

Portobello-Prosciutto Burgers

Sunday, October 31, 2010

I'm fairly passionate about mushrooms. Shiitake, portobello, even plain white buttons. A big pile of them, sauteed in butter and garlic and mixed with a bit of cream of fresh thyme blends in beautifully with pasta. They're the perfect accompaniment to a good bolognese sauce, adding a nice depth of flavor to the other traditional ingredients. I love seeing them floating around with sauteed veggies and soba noodles. To put it simply, they're a dreamy ingredient. And not as a supporting player, either-mushrooms sing their tune pretty loudly in any dish.

Needless to say, when I was perusing the impeccably beautiful blog of Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond, and my eyes lit upon her entry for Portobello burgers, I decided I had to try them. I've had plenty of portobello sandwiches before, some that I've made myself (a la a delicious Nigella Lawson recipe that I'll have to share some time), some in cozy little coffee shops that sell savory treats for lunch. They've all been pretty good, but nothing that comes close to this recipe.

It's quite simple, really. Just grilling wine-soaked portobellos until they're juicy and tender, topping them with flavorful sharp provolone until it's gooey slightly browning on the edges, slapping them on a soft roll, then adding a layer of fresh basil and salty prosciutto. Ree's recipe calls for a basil-infused mayo, but it's me we're talking about! My sandwich won't be defiled by the tiniest drop of that wretched condiment! Even mayonnaise aficionados wouldn't mind the Katie version, I must say, because this is one amazingly delicious "burger." The prosciutto adds just the right touch, blending beautifully with the tang of the cheese, and the basil literally pushes the whole thing right over the top, crossing the line from ordinary to unforgettable.

As I usually do with blogger recipes, I'll just include the link here. I would imagine that you've been hiding under a rock if you haven't checked out Pioneer Woman before, but be sure to stop by! It's an incredible, diverse blog, with everything from funny stories to photography tips to homeschooling strategies. Before you go though, make this sandwich. You won't be sorry.


No comments: