Friday, October 8, 2010

excuses, excuses

Friday, October 8, 2010

To my dismay, I have heralded this most favorite of seasons, the time I look forward to every year, with a pathetic lack of posting. As I've shared many times, blogging regularly gives me a feeling that's simultaneously comforting and satisfying. As though all is right with the world. Whether I'm writing about a good plate of food or the sappy moment that made me cry on television the night before or my altogether inappropriate obsession with the Twilight saga, it's just a joy, a real pleasure to send my words out there.

You must have known that a big HOWEVER was coming. Meet my nemesis:

That's right, I'm taking an online course, via the University of Phoenix, to satisfy the ridiculous requirements for my California teaching credential. Let me tell you, it is no walk in the park, but rather an absolutely obnoxious amount of work, and has been draining me of time and energy. While I would truly love to spend my time reveling in the perfectly adorable little round pumpkins at every store, planning my Halloween party, and joyfully wrapping myself in warm blankets at night for the now cool evenings, I instead must spend my hours responding to various other teachers in my position (at least 2 times a day for at least 4 days out of the week), completing individual assignments, and attempting to collaborate with a group that I can neither see nor call. Lovely.

A few things have managed to brighten my days, however, reminding me of the exciting things I can do when I emerge out of this dark raincloud of schooling. Molly of Orangette recommended a red lentil soup from In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite, and I was pretty convinced I should add it to my voluminous cookbook collection. I could not have made a better decision. One of the chapter titles is "Things with Cheese." Be still my stomach.

My Kings have kindly amassed a collection of daily videos in preparation for their album release on October 19th. This particular one is a favorite. I love Caleb describing his angst about Nathan's nuptials, and how the spelling is "Mary" but really it's "marry." Can't wait to hear the song, boys.

Fall television, or new television, rather, is back. My top 3 (at least until Friday Night Lights returns) have yet to disappoint. The Office has been equal parts hilarious, clever, and touching. Bones has managed to maintain a subtle, but painful tension in Booth and Brennan's relationship, but keeps it interesting with gross-out cases, witty repartee, and plenty of socially inept behavior. Fringe is keeping me on the edge of my seat! When will Peter realize that he's romancing faux-livia? Does our Olivia KNOW she's our Olivia? What's happening in the other world?! Yes, I know my questions won't make sense to anyone who doesn't watch the delightfully fascinating Fringe. Listen to my ringing endorsement!

There WILL be more to come, during my favorite time of year, on the dear old blog. I won't let the U of P keep me down!




No comments: