Saturday, October 5, 2013

They're back.

Saturday, October 5, 2013

I neglected to post much about Mechanical Bull, the KOL's first album post Caleb's notorious public breakdown on stage.  This is not because I wasn't all over the news, or due to a lack of enthusiasm.  Rather, I blame the constant cycle of Frances audiobooks playing in my car.  My little guy will tolerate almost nothing on my musical end but Jack Johnson.  Not bad taste, at least.  There is hope for him still.    Anyway, it took a while for me to get through the album, but I am finally here to say it's solid.  I wouldn't say it's my favorite of all KOL time, but it's definitely good, and I can recognize their older stuff in the sound, which is nice.  It makes me think they were taking things really seriously when they went about recording it.

The song above, performed in a very tame fashion for a lackluster Letterman crowd is one of my favorites from the album.  I decided to include it in lieu of "Supersoaker," the first single, just because I like it so much.  Do not judge by the crowd or mood of the video, by the way.  I know this is going to be awesome in concert, when the Kings officially kick off a tour.  For now, I've relentlessly started to stalk their blog for tour news, which I expect after they finish the festival circuit.  This weekend they're headlining Austin City Limits, a fact I was reminded of only after my BFF Rose sent me an excited text to say she had them in her very sights, at an extremely hip Austin restaurant.  I was overwhelmed with jealousy, of course, but mostly happy to hear her positive report.  No behaviors to feel bad about.

Finally, I'm including a link to this most awesome musical q & a with Caleb Followill (obviously my favorite).  I was ridiculously charmed by it. Mentions of "The Grundy County Auction" right in there with Keith Sweat and The Bodyguard soundtrack? As if I didn't love the band enough already...

No comments: