Friday, November 26, 2010

something you didn't know about me

Friday, November 26, 2010

I'm usually quite forthcoming on my beloved blog. I fully admit to my Twilight obsession, which is mock-worthy and shameful by the standards of many. In my seasonal playlists, I confess to the times when I've been influenced to find a song that was featured on a movie's trailer. By now everyone who reads knows that I'm relentlessly loyal to Rachael Ray and hate mayonnaise. I write about loving everything British and occasionally share my thoughts on my favorite books.

Despite my open nature, there is one teensy little fascination of mine I've left unshared. In the interest of full disclosure, I'll just come out and say it: I'm kind of into the whole zombie phenomenon. Yes, I've seen 28 Days Later more than twice. I've had many hours-long marathons playing Left for Dead with Joey (check out my usual avatar, Rochelle, in the pic below. For the record, my fave weapon is a machete). World War Z, the immensely popular novel by Max Brooks, son of Mel, is the book I've secretly been devouring all week instead of finishing up Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man for grad school. When I heard about "The Walking Dead", the new show based on comic books detailing a zombie infestation in America, I had to check it out immediately.

In my defense, I'm TOTALLY NOT ALONE in this rather morbid fascination. There are piles of remakes of George Romero's "living dead" series, tons of zombie-related books, and of course the ubiquitous zombie video games. "The Walking Dead" is the featured cover of Entertainment Weekly this week, and is aired on the highly respectable AMC channel. Brad Pitt went through a bidding war to snatch the rights to World War Z, which is slated for a 2012 release (good lord, I actually just wrote "slated for release"-how pretentious and film critic-y of me!). When Brad Pitt gets involved, you can rest assured it's no run-of-the-mill or ridiculous idea. I'm pretty sure that gives zombie-philes some credibility. I don't think the fad is going away any time soon.

Let's just say that I would be good to have on your side should there be a zombie apocalypse. :)


No comments: