Sunday, August 30, 2009

Summer Movie Awards

Sunday, August 30, 2009

What with all my European jaunts, trips to Texas and Coldplay concerts, I didn't manage to catch all of the movies that I wanted to during the summer. I had grand plans of double features, trying out different movie theaters in the neighborhood to figure out my favorite, and even solo movie outings (yes, I go to movies alone-I find it to be simultaneously soothing and exhilarating), but none of my plans panned out. I did manage to catch a few flicks, however, and I was in no way disappointed. Thus, with no further adieu, I present to you my summer movie awards:

The All-Around Favorite and Sweetest Summer Cinema Award:
Away We Go

I loved this movie. I wasn't sure that about the John Krasinski/Maya Rudolph pairing, but they had a believable, slightly awkward chemistry that really worked. The movie was simultaneously funny and touching, and never bordered on the sappy. I want to see it again. Several times.

Most-Eagerly Anticipated and Not at all Disappointing Award:
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Nary a glimpse of Voldemort (besides flashbacks) in this movie, but the ominous tone and darker days were palpable, in spite of delectable little tidbits like Fred and George Weasley's shop and Harry's burgeoning romance with Ginny. Faithful viewers (and readers) had to anticipate Dumbledore's death, which was certainly a terrible thing to see, but the smaller moments, like the vision of a levitating Katie Bell, were especially powerful. I was particularly impressed by the performances of Snape and Draco Malfoy.

I Laughed So Hard I Thought I Might Die Award:
The Hangover

Seriously. I was literally quaking with laughter for the entire duration of the movie. It's a must-have. A must-own. Bonus points to the director/producers for assembling a lesser-known group of actors and mining comedic gold.

I Heart You, Zooey Deschanel Award:
500 Days of Summer

When I left the theatre, I wasn't totally overwhelmed with love for this movie. I thought it was cute and quirky, but not the best thing I'd ever seen. But then I found myself thinking about it into the night, and I realized that its unconventional, yet somehow utterly realistic love story was actually QUITE compelling. Plus, Zooey Deschanel is winning, an adorable, lovable blend of dry wit and charm clothed in an array of blue attire, the bewitching object of an equally-appealing Joseph Gordon-Levitt's affection. Bonus: the soundtrack is fabulous.

I can't wait for the fall movie season-there are EVER so many up and coming movies that I am desperately anticipating. November 20, in particular, is firmly stamped in my mind.

Did I miss anything spectacular over the summer?


No comments: