Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Definitely Academy-Award worthy...

Tuesday, February 3, 2009


In spite of the unpleasant obstacle to my happiness otherwise known as my first paper for this term hanging over my head, I opted to catch a matinee of The Reader today with my mother-in-law. It was the third Best Picture nominee that I have managed to see, and it was excellent. Not necessarily heartwarming, romantic, and soul-thrilling, like Slumdog Millionaire, but a very well-acted, well-conceived film. I left the theater with lots of questions circling my mind, and we (my mother-in-law and I) both felt that it was rife for discussion. I must admit, I enjoyed it much more than The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, despite the difficult and morally questionable subject matter. Kate Winslet is absolutely stunning, and very worthy of the recognition she has received. If you enjoy movies in a critical, analytical sense, I would highly recommend this one. Prepare yourself for a copious amount of nudity, though. Attempt to avoid those images and focus on the greater issues of plot at hand!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Haven't seen this yet. I've got two more to see before the 22nd - The Reader and Milk. I agree about Slumdog Millionaire! Did you see the Wrestler? Despite Mickey Rourke's face making cringe, it was a really good film (said like fil-em in the Irish way). ;)