Saturday, February 14, 2009

Academy Award-worthy?

Saturday, February 14, 2009


Most definitely.

While I was watching Rachel Getting Married, I found myself becoming increasingly irritated with one or both of the leads, Kym (Anne Hathaway) and Rachel (Rosemarie DeWitt). On on the one hand, I found Kym incredibly annoying and self-centered at times, while Rachel appeared callous and self-absorbed. Much like my reading of The Hotel New Hampshire, however, I realized that this movie is indeed quite good, if for no other reason than its effort to portray real life and the constant challenges to an authentic family dynamic. We've all got some sort of issue hindering us, but at the end of the day, we can't choose our family. While I still hope that Kate Winslet proves victorious on Oscar day, I wouldn't mind at all if Anne Hathaway was recognized for this poignant, "playing-against-type" performance.

No comments: