Monday, December 15, 2008

And the Academy award goes to...

Monday, December 15, 2008


One of the benefits of my Macbook, especially for an entertainment junkie like myself, is being able to watch high quality trailers for upcoming films on Apple's movie site. I just caught the trailer for Che, and I was extremely impressed. I have only the most basic history textbook knowledge of the revolutionary, mainly an awareness of his involvement in the Cuban revolution and his expertise on guerilla warfare, and I found myself captivated by the trailer for the upcoming biopic. Benicio del Toro, one of the finest actors of this generation, portrays Guevera. I have never failed to be impressed by his work, and I consider Traffic to be one of the best movies I've ever seen, despite its somber, depressing subject matter. Incidentally, Che, which will be released to two parts (it's over four hours long!) was directed by Steven Soderburgh, who directed Traffic. Clearly actor and director have a positive, solid working relationship, which is always a good sign for a film that must have been very ambitious. I did a little more research on it, and it turns out that del Toro and Soderburgh have been working on the film for years. It's refreshing to see actors tackling a historical figure, especially one as polarizing, and taking the role very seriously, wanting to portray a life as accurately as possible. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it. I've heard that it will be released in LA and New York in its entirety this week, in order for it to be considered for the Academy Awards. I don't know how one could neglect Benicio del Toro in awards season-he is truly amazing.

No comments: