Friday, August 29, 2008

Thoughts on entertaining...

Friday, August 29, 2008




You know, entertaining, or preparing to entertain, is not a carefree or breezy activity at all! We are having my brother-in-law and his girlfriend over this evening, and I have been preparing ALL AFTERNOON! Slaving away! Preparing kebabs, making a pie, washing dish after dish, unloading the dishwasher, scrubbing the kitchen sink...it would seem that the preparations are never-ending! And here I was wanting to congratulate myself on the brilliant idea of having chicken and shrimp kebabs. Part of my penchant for kebabs involves the pure satisfaction of threading them, but I also consider them to be a lovely plan-ahead dish. Chop the meat/vegetables, prepare marinade, thread meat/vegetables, place in fridge until time to grill! Simple, right? No, actually! Not when you have to chop each piece of chicken or decide to be so overly ambitious that you prepare not one, but TWO marinades. As though my family will think, "My, these kebabs are so delicious, and with such great, and different flavors!" Even if they did!

I also made a frozen peanut butter pie, which barely fit in the freezer and may turn out to be horrible because I used a springform pan instead of a pie pan. Thank goodness I have a trusty container of Breyer's mint chocolate chip ice cream. It's my favorite mint chocolate chip-instead of being that ghastly minty green it's pure snow white, and studded with huge chunks of DARK mint chocolate. At least I know one part of the meal has the potential to turn out right.

All of this preparation and typing has exhausted me...I'll now remove myself from the front of my computer to take a nap.

No comments: