Sunday, August 19, 2012

sweet potato and kale pizza with rosemary and red onion

Sunday, August 19, 2012

It is nothing short of a travesty that I have kept this recipe to myself for so long.  This particularly lovely shot of the MOST UNBELIEVABLY DELICIOUS pizza was taken in January.  Yes, that is how long I have been making it, over and over, and yet I have not taken fingers to the keyboard to write about it.

I wrote about a new blog find, twopeasandtheirpod, quite a well back, sharing their wonderful recipe for baked pumpkin doughnut holes.  By the way, what is the generally accepted rule about the spelling of doughnut?  I prefer this spelling, not what appears to be a bastardized "donut."  I digress.

Maria and Josh, bloggers and new parents, have lots of great-looking recipes.  Many sweets, and I would say fairly heavy on the veg side, but that's good for those of us looking to eat more healthily during the week.  I have told you before that I'm quite proud of my attraction to kale, and it was really the unique combination of the superstar veg and sweet potato that drew me to the pizza.  I will also confess that I'm unusually drawn to pizzas with no sauce.  It's weird, I know.

Anyway, I can't say enough about this dish.  Sweet potatoes are thinly sliced with red onion and roasted, which is the perfect time to let your pizza dough rest.  I've been using Trader Joe's fresh dough, and while it has been a learning experience manipulating it properly, I think I'm getting better.  Chopped kale is tossed with a bit of balsamic vinegar, and once the sweet potatoes are done, all are scattered across the top of the dough, along with a bit of freshly chopped rosemary, and then topped with cheese.

You guys, there aren't words.  The pizza is otherworldly good.  Even my vegetarian-loathing* SH can polish off a few slices handily without complaining that it's not a whole meal without meat.  Last night, I gave Baby A a slice, and he cheerfully plucked a golden cheese-encrusted piece of kale right off, shoving it into his little mouth and causing my heart to burst with pride.

Is it acceptable to make the same dish every single week?  I could totally do that with this pizza.

*He doesn't loathe vegetarians really, just the lifestyle :)

No comments: