Friday, August 10, 2012

loving lately

Friday, August 10, 2012
Chronicle.  SH found this gem one recent evening, singing its potential praises via his newfound appreciation for Rotten Tomatoes.  I was disdainful at first, certain that the fact I'd never heard of it boded poorly for the little film.  Granted, our movie nights aren't exactly what they used to be, and I'm clearly off my pop culture game because a quick perusal of my trusty entertainment sites revealed that critics adored the movie.  Full of unknowns (with the exception of Michael B. Jordan, of The Wire and Friday Night Lights), it's an interesting story, with old-school special effects that are actually quite compelling.  


Divergent trilogy.  I know I'm not alone in always keeping an eye out for the next YA (young adult) series that will capture hearts and imaginations.  While this is no Twilight saga (alas, my wounded heart mourns the impending breakup of our real-life Edward and Bella!!) or Hunger Games, it's still a compelling, well-written set of books.  Like the Hunger Games, the books are set in a dystopian future, though there are no messy love triangles and the concept (division into various factions based on character traits) is somewhat less violent.  I was especially lucky to come across the books right after the publication of Insurgent, which meant I had two to look forward to reading.  Now I'm just like the rest of the fans, eagerly awaiting the third installment.  

Heartless Bastards, Arrow.  I've always loved "All This Time," a totally addictive Heartless Bastards tune that was a part of an Austin City Limits sampler a few years ago, but I never sought them out.  [Full disclosure: my love affair with "All This Time" was really ignited when it was used on a FNL episode that prominently featured Tim Riggins.]  A few weeks ago, one of my fave blogs, Dinner A Love Story, had a great post about the best things about the summer, essentially, and co-author Andy claimed "Arrow" as the Best Album to Cook To.  It's good, people.  Really good.  Even Baby A, who is also obsessed with "All This Time," agrees.

Trader Joe's Coconut Milk Ice Cream, Chocolate. Not too long ago our beloved Joey came for a visit with his lovely girlfriend.  Times have changed, OBVIOUSLY, since the days of yore when Joey, SH and I would prepare elaborate and delicious meals together and relish the cool California evening, sitting in the backyard for hours and rising late the next day only to repeat the whole process.  There is  a bit more rushing involved to our dinners now, and I hardly act as the sous chef I once was.  We usually eat inside, often on paper plates, and there aren't quite as many Jules glasses, but we continue to enjoy our time together.  I can always count on Joey finding little gems at TJ's (chocolate-covered frozen bananas, seasoned mahi-mahi, etc.) which I have yet to discover, and on this trip, he brought the best one yet.  I literally cannot get enough of this coconut milk ice cream, and I am not alone, as it's practically cleaned out of the freezer EVERY time I go shopping.  It is indescribably good, creamy and delicious without feeling the least bit heavy.  I am in love.  Purchase some immediately, if you're lucky enough to find it.  
Baby Gap pajamas.  As Baby A steadily approached his first year, it became increasingly difficult to find pajamas that would fit him. Apparently, most one-pieces are only made up until about 9 months.  At first, I bemoaned this discovery, feeling that he could never possibly be as adorable in two pieces as he was in the snug zippered one-piece footie pjs.  Turns out, my sadness was completely unwarranted, both because my little baby looks precious in EVERYTHING and also because these Gap pjs are so great.  Functional, high-quality, and super cute.  It pains me to admit that he does look a bit more like a little boy and less like a baby when he's wearing them, but I need to be reminded every once and a while that this new, exciting toddler stage is going to be great fun too.  

1 comment:

David and Abi said...

i do love me some baby gap jammies, but i did find footed jammies at gymboree up to 24 mo. AB still wears a pair now at 27 mo and i will be so sad when i cant squeeze her into them. i also liked to use striped jammie tops under short sleeves in fall for M.

but yes, i buy baby gap a size big because the quality is so good we can wash/wear for 2 years.