Friday, January 21, 2011

autumn/borderline winter playlist

Friday, January 21, 2011

You may have noticed that my burning desire to share my oft-played tunes had sort of gone beyond seasonal lists. My first offense was an extremely lengthy summer playlist, followed by an "indian summer" list. I have now gone far beyond that trespass, and have completely neglected to appropriately compile my fall list. In case you haven't noticed, we are nearing the third month of winter! Since it is my blog, however, and I would like to keep the memory of my lists for posterity's sake, I still feel inclined to post. Also, far be it from me to keep such wonderful musical suggestions from you.

animal-neon trees. My autumn list is particularly heavy on tracks hailing from my birthday gift, a mix created by my BFF Rose. As we know, she's brilliant. Apparently, my version is the earlier, lesser-inspired one, but I find that hard to believe. Out of 22 songs, 5 are from her list, cutely titled, Badassnass. Animal is an addictive, highly pleasurable song that, much to my chagrin, made a big splash on the movie trailer for Love and Other Drugs. Don't hold that against it!

forget you-glee cast version, feat. Gwyneth Paltrow. I will confess that extreme profanity and all, I found Cee-Lo Green's original, unedited version to be incredibly appealing. It wasn't the same at all to listen to the clean version, somehow. Enter Gwyneth Paltrow and guest-star performance on Glee. Not only was she the best celeb guest-star they've ever had, she made me love the clean version! Thanks, G!

mary-kings of leon. I only wrote about this album about 162 times, so it should be no surprise that it was on repeat in the car for the duration of the fall. This song is one of my favorites. It's delightfully old-fashioned, but with some really great riffs towards the end. Definitely demonstrative of the Kings' considerable musical skill.

i know what i am-band of skulls, friday night lights, volume ii. I could tell you that I love this song because it's fun, with crazy lines about a "triple salchow" and a chorus with a great beat, but secretly, I have a sneaking suspicion that on the show, it may have been attached to a scene with Tim Riggins. A lady may have been involved as well. My sister would probably say, "Inapprope!"

speak now-taylor swift. After getting past the possibility that each song may or may not have been penned for this or that celebrity lost love, you would have to admit that Taylor Swift can be completely appealing. I have selected the song that I am fairly certain, at the ripe old age of 20, she has likely truly not experienced in real life.

apartment story-the national. I love this band more and more as time goes by. This song isn't from the most recent album, but everything I've heard so far is just, solid. Interestingly, I have heard them on no less than four television shows lately. Not entirely pleased about that, as there is so much pleasure in having a more "secret" interest, but I'm sure it's good for the band.

heavy in your arms, florence + the machine, eclipse motion picture soundtrack. One need only hear the first few lines ("I was a heavy heart to carry, my beloved was weighed down...") to guess that Florence took it upon herself to pen a song especially for Eclipse. Of course, you might need an encyclopedic knowledge of Twilight, like me, in order to immediately make the connection. How I love her.

everlasting light-the black keys. The first track on the aforementioned playlist from Rose, "Everlasting Light" is one of those songs that's extremely mellow without being slow. It's got a great seductive feel.

pyro-kings of leon. The second single off the new album is probably my favorite, even though it's a bit dark. Caleb, w is a twisted soul. The video embedded above, is complicated, though I am sure there were some religious overtones involved in its conception. The boys never leave their faith far behind, whether they realize it or not.

on melancholy hill-gorrillaz. Thanks once again, Rose. Did I even know Gorrillaz before I met you? Or White Lies? Or My Morning Jacket? Or (gasp) Kings of Leon? "On Melancholy Hill" is a pop-y, '80's-esque tune, by the way.

horchata-vampire weekend. Winter's cold IS too much to handle. Thank goodness for Vampire Weekend, conjuring up images of horchata-drinking in December.

marry you-glee cast version. I'm not immensely familiar with Bruno Mars, but I adored this adaptation on Glee, serving as the wedding music for Kurt's dad and Finn's mom. Bonus? I don't have to feel guilty about it, which I do for harboring affection for Chris Brown's "Forever", the previous contender for best wedding intro music.

i'm not calling you a liar-florence + the machine. Slowly, but surely, I'll insert a F + TM song into every playlist I ever make. When I first heard the album, I really only adored one song. Then I listened closely to another and became captivated. And then another. That's how it goes with Florence.

get on the road-tired pony. A slow, quiet buildup to a subtle crescendo. Soothing and perfect for a night drive.

have a little faith in me-john hiatt. This is an oldie, but a goodie. Of course, it's been done and redone, and I perused all the covers I knew before settling on this as my favorite.

santa clara-the national. "I don't worry anymore, nothing like I did before..." It's a great beginning to one of the most mellow, therapeutic songs on my list. I have a soft spot for the name, too-it's Californian.

something good this way comes, jakob dylan, friday night lights volume ii. Has there ever been a more remarkable father-son dual musical talent? I've always loved listening to Jakob Dylan and contemplating the evidence of pure genetic abilities being seamlessly transferred. All of my deep thoughts aside, this song is sweet and country. No one who heard it could criticize.

the crane wife 3-the decemberists. For my autumn playlist, I went on a search for some of the songs that have really grabbed my attention in the past few years. Like many of my discoveries, I first heard it on a movie trailer. (Possible dream job: seeking out the perfect independent unknown songs to attach to film and television, full well knowing said songs will become famous because of sentimental saps like myself) Anyway, it's not possible that I would ever grow tired of this tune. I also find it tremendously uplifting.

you got what I need-joshua radin. I love Joshua Radin SO much that I don't mind that he continuously puts forth, like Jack Johnson, a slew of songs that sound remarkably similar. I heard this recent offering on Grey's Anatomy, and of course cried during the scene. I'm pathetic.

these hard times-needtobreathe. The more I get to know this band of my sister's heart, the more I love them. This anthemic song is both convicting and encouraging to me, a difficult musical feat.

christmas lights-coldplay. There was quite the bit of hubbub and buildup to this single's release, all of it completely justifiable. A bit melancholy, but still incredibly moving. Musical perfection, as usual. With Coldplay, "I always know what I'm getting, and I'm always pleased."


No comments: