Friday, June 11, 2010

walnut crusted wild salmon & edamame mash

Friday, June 11, 2010

I know I'm always raving about the loveliness that is Smitten Kitchen and insisting that you head immediately to Orangette, and for perfectly good reason. They are two complete and utter pearls in the vast and overwhelming sea of food blogs, reliable, exceptional, and boasting intelligent, witty writers to boot. Even though I have a substantial list of food blogs on my sidebar, I typically spend most of my time at those two.

I must emphatically state, however, that ALL of those food blogs are wonderful. I should really be scouring them regularly for ideas, rather than waiting for something exceptional to jump out at me in the daily or weekly heading. That, fortunately, is what happened with this particular dish.

My love for any sort of "crusted" protein is well-documented, especially when it comes to fish, so Sara, of Sprouted Kitchen, easily snagged my attention immediately with a recipe entitled "walnut crusted wild salmon." Be still my heart! I found her photography to be absolutely stunning, clean and beautiful, showcasing individual components of her recipes perfectly.

This was the first recipe I tried from Sprouted Kitchen, but I will be sure to return for more. It is unequivocally one of the BEST salmon dishes I have ever TASTED, much less made for myself. It was super easy, with just a few ingredients, which, by the way, make you feel totally virtuous-whole wheat flour, egg whites, heart-healthy walnuts... The edamame mash is to die for, mostly because of the inclusion of sesame oil (if you don't have a bottle, GET ONE-it's a delicious!), and goes perfectly with the salmon. If I had to come up with a perfect phrase to describe the dish? Heavenly and delicate. It's actually kind of a showstopper.

I'm not entirely sure of the best way to navigate food blogging when referencing recipes from blogs instead of cookbooks, so I'm just going to include Sara's link. This way you'll be FORCED to go to her blog, which you'll only thank yourself for.


No comments: