Thursday, May 6, 2010

One of these is not like the other.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Oh, how I remember those fabled days leading up the release of the highly-anticipated Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. It was the summer of 1991, and in the eyes of me and my best buds, Kevin Costner as Robin was a smoldering romantic hero. We loved his silly bantering with Maid Marian, were touched by the brotherly love he felt for that young rogue Christian Slater, and giggled when he decided to take a naked swim, a scene which by today's standards was quite chaste and also, completely ridiculous. Obviously, the considerable amount of wisdom I have gained over the years has eliminated the cheesy romantic film that obscured my vision, and I now see Kev for what he was: approaching middle-age, slightly pudgy, and possessing about as much acting talent as one of the stars of Gossip Girl (with the exception of Bull Durham, of course). Mightn't he have hired a dialect coach? Could he not even ATTEMPT an English accent?

As usual, my judgment (even at a young age, I felt it was fairly good!) was muddled by the interference of the deliciously lame romantic ballad, "Everything I Do (I Do it for You)." Yes, Bryan Adams is mostly to blame for my infatuation with Kevin Costner as Robin Hood, and my misguided teenage certainty that the love story depicted on screen was one for the ages. Preposterous! I am SUCH a sucker.

I'm pretty sure this most modern, most exciting take on the legend of the medieval outlaw won't be much like its predecessor. You probably won't catch me writing a shameful confession years later about how much I loved it.

"Walk the wire for you...yeah, I'd die for youuuuuuuu"


No comments: