Saturday, November 28, 2009

Remember Me

Saturday, November 28, 2009

What's that you say? You erroneously believed my affection for Twilight ended with the books and films? The answer to that is a resounding NOPE! I'll admit it-I have succumbed to the Robert Pattinson phenomenon. I may have watched Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire an additional four or five times since discovering him in the role of Cedric Diggory. I might have surreptitiously snuck into a quaint independent theater to watch Little Ashes, cringing and covering my eyes in certain compromising scenes. It's entirely possible that I followed the casting of Remember Me closely enough to know that Emilie de Ravin would be Rob's leading lady before they even began the notoriously difficult NYC shoot. Now I know that Rob is something of an attractive guy-okay, that is a major understatement for the 23-year old actor who almost knocked Johnny Depp out of the running for People's Sexiest Man Alive and boasts cover spreads on both GQ and Vanity Fair-but what I find even more appealing about him is his self-deprecating British humor and adorably awkward goofiness. He refused any media training in the months leading up to Twilight, but he manages to sail through interviews and press conferences seamlessly, relying entirely upon a plethora of wit and charm.

Lest you think I'm merely swayed by the face that graces nearly every entertainment magazine on a weekly basis, you should know that I'm crazy about both Twilight leads. I'm a BIG Kristen Stewart fan. Not only do I admire her acting ability-subtle, nuanced, and very serious-but I'm impressed with her sincere effort to remain aloof and separate from all the drama that inevitably surrounds a successful franchise. She displays a substantial maturity and presence for her age, standing in stark contrast to other teenybopper types (think Hayden Panettiere, Miley Cyrus, even Lindsay Lohan!). She's got style (see here and here, very cool but also age-appropriate, no cut-down-to-there evening gowns), she likes Camus, and she could care less what the world generally thinks of her. Granted, KStew has her moments of awkwardness (which I find endearing, for the most part), and she betrays youth and inexperience at times, but I kind of dig her. And yes, I know about the infamous pipe-smoking incident and the Joan Jett haircut and the extreme movie choices. I may not always adore every movie Kris chooses to make, but I certainly respect her. Trust me, we'll be hearing about her for years to come, and not just for the Twilight saga or feel-good 80's movies with awesome soundtracks like Adventureland.

After all this expounding on the individual talents of Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart, I cannot help but confess that the very best part of both is when they're together. Yes, I'm a naive romantic at heart who cannot help but be swept up into the idea of a love story forged between the two who brought Bella and Edward to life. The two seem very MFEO, if you know what I mean...


No comments: