Tuesday, April 21, 2015

you need to read this: station eleven

Tuesday, April 21, 2015
"First we only want to be seen, but once we're seen, that's not enough anymore.  After that, we want to be remembered." 

Let it be known that I was NOT the last to this party.  Station Eleven has been praised and lauded from the moment of its release, perched in fancy, eye-catching displays in bookstores and undoubtedly chatted about at book clubs and cocktail parties.  It was shortlisted for the National Book Award and the PEN/ Faulkner Award for Fiction, if those sort of things are especially important to you.

I'm not going into the plot too much, partially because I'm rushing out this post before I take my laptop to a much-needed Genius Bar appointment (it's SERIOUSLY sick!) but also because describing it as a story that takes place in a dystopian future, while accurate, just doesn't do it justice. Station Eleven is really more about what matters to us even before we've lost everything, and how somehow that never changes. I highly, highly recommend this book-I was thinking about it days later, and the experience of reading it was something like being stuck in a pleasant reverie.

*I love the cover, by the way.  Sort of lonely and spare, yet hopeful, which perfectly represents the story.

No comments: