Thursday, July 19, 2012

crunchy kale and coconut bowl

Thursday, July 19, 2012
I am horrified to realize that the last time I posted a recipe was back in JANUARY.  Lest you think we've been eating take-out and beans and rice all this time, I can assure you that despite my pitiful time management skills, I have indeed continued to provide a home-cooked meal almost every night and have even tried out a few new recipes along the way.

One of these is destined to become a new favorite (for me, at least-SH hasn't been fortunate enough to try it yet): crunchy kale and coconut bowl, courtesy of Joy the Baker.  Joy's blog is one of the most widely known and beloved foodie blogs, inevitably appearing in the reader feed of all the other biggies.  Because her focus is baking, I didn't spend a lot of time perusing the blog.  I happened to click over one day to land on this unbelievably unique and delicious recipe, and presto, Joy was added to my list of daily foodie reads.  I immediately bought her new cookbook, prepared this dish, and I haven't looked back.

Obviously, I get huge points for my love affair with kale, easily the most popular current "super food."  I had roasted it several times before, and it's almost addictive. The combination of large toasted shards of coconuts and Asian dressing, while unusual, pushes it completely over the edge to another realm of tasty.

Note: I was thrilled to have the opportunity to cook farro, which I had never tried before, but Joy says that brown rice would work just as well.  As per one of the comments on her original post, I think I'm going to add chickpeas next time.  I love them almost as much as I love doughnuts.

Happy cooking!

No comments: