Sunday, April 20, 2008

A delicious breakfast, if I do say so myself...

Sunday, April 20, 2008


One of my new cookbook acquisitions is "Eat What You Crave," by Ellie Krieger. Not only is it a beautifully photographed cookbook, it's full of healthy, flavorful recipes that don't seem to require vast amounts of effort. So far, I have made 4 of these recipes, and all have turned out splendidly.

My favorite, thus far, are the Whole Wheat Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce. Normally, I don't turn much to breakfast recipes. For one, they are usually impractical during the week, and most weekends I'd rather enjoy a leisurely bowl of cereal or oatmeal and not have to do much work. The picture of the pancakes in the cookbook sorely tempted me to make a special Saturday breakfast, and I am surely glad that I did!

The light, fluffy side of pancakes that you see in pictures belie the difficulty of making them. They're actually quite tricky. The pan has to be at just the right temperature-too hot, the pancakes will burn, not hot enough, they won't cook properly in the middle. In the past, it has been a veritable comedy of errors for me as I've attempted to make pancakes.

This effort proved to be a wonderful change! I feel quite sure the reason for my success is entirely due to the buttermilk, which is commonly known to make pancakes especially light and airy. The pancakes cooked in record time, and I was easily able to watch the simmering strawberry sauce whilst flipping the little brown cakes.

I felt even better after devouring several of the pancakes. They were absolutely delicious, and made me feel quite responsible and healthy for using whole wheat flour. They reminded me very much of the wheat germ pancakes my Aunt Kathy whipped up for us once.

It was also a great feeling to have made the effort for a nice weekend breakfast. Dave and I sat in the sunny corner where our little dining room table resides and enjoyed piles of pancakes and hot coffee while perusing magazines. It was a really lovely breakfast, and I plan to make the pancakes often.

No comments: