Sunday, February 10, 2008

The quickest and the best!

Sunday, February 10, 2008
I would be remiss in not posting about a recent dish that I discovered, one that is magnificent in its simplicity, taste, and speed of preparation. My beloved colleague, Teresa, stumbled upon it in the Austin newspaper. I hate not to officially acknowledge the recipe's author, but I have somehow misplaced the clipping. Teresa is always offering me wonderful ideas for cooking quick, delicious, family-friendly meals, and I love that we have been able to share our ideas with each other. She made this dish first, raved about it, and insisted that I try it. I'm copying the recipe here, exactly the way that I made it.


Salsa Shrimp


1 sack frozen shrimp (I'm able to buy this at HEB with relative ease-I'm guessing there's about 1 lb to 1/2 lbs of shrimp in each sack, and they're peeled and deveined)

3 tbsp. pine nuts

1-2 tbsp. EVOO

1 cup fresh salsa (I bought HEB's fresh salsa, and I would imagine that most grocery stores carry fresh salsas, usually found in the produce section)

Warm up the EVOO in a large skillet, medium to medium-high heat. Carefully add the shrimp (no need to defrost)and allow to cook through, about five minutes. Turn the shrimp midway through cooking. Once the shrimp have turned pink, add the cup of salsa and pine nuts. Let simmer, five to ten more minutes, or until you're ready to eat.

On the side, serve broccoli and brown rice. I use my rice cooker and steamer attachment to prepare the side items, but it's equally easy to prepare the broccoli in the microwave and use quick-cooking brown rice.

This dish is wonderfully simple, with a warm spiciness that is comforting and filling along with the bonus good feelings that one can't help but feel, knowing that every item you're eating is quite good for you! (Note: Shrimp have a high amount of cholesterol, so just avoid preparing this meal every night, though I PROMISE you'll be tempted!!)

No comments: